Vegan Options for McDonald's

I'VE DECIDED TO START A NEW SERIES CALLED VEGAN OPTIONS FOR... WHERE I BASICALLY CHOOSE A PLACE AND FIND THE BEST VEGAN OPTIONS FOR THAT PARTICULAR PLACE!

So you're stranded on an island and the only place you can eat is McDonald's. Just kidding... I'd personally prefer to grab a coffee if I was at McDonald's with the fam bam on our typical 'Maccas Runs' while on vacation but sometimes a coffee just ain't enough. You need something solid to eat. Yes, McDonald's isn't the most nutritious place in the world but if you're ever in a situation where you're hungry, vegan and in possibly the worst restaurant (a kebab shop would probably be worse) in the world here's the solution.


probably not the best option in the world... but it's still food!
the fries are cooked separately from meat products
and if you're extra stingy and want to piss off the
workers, ask for no salt!
honestly, there is WAY too much salt on these bad boys...
mmm, gotta love chemical tasting apples. i've had
these a few times as a child and honestly, i
preferred them over fries! yes, they taste
awful but they are better than the fries...















I actually know a fair bit about this stuff because I may / may not have worked in this restaurant? ;) There are some creative people who decide to make their own vegan burger (hamburger no meat, add whatever vegetables they want) HOWEVER I would not recommend it as it is produced on the same bench where meat is passed, and I don't have enough trust for underpaid teenagers that most definitely don't wipe the benches.

Also, the buns include Enzyme (1100) which is an enzyme typically derived from milk. It can however be naturally derived from vegetables but I personally wouldn't trust it. Unfortunately most makeup and food companies would label something (in this case Enzyme (1100)) and not specify if it is animal-derived or not. This infuriates me so much! As consumers, we should know what's in our products. Because products aren't properly labelled, I don't like to take any chances and completely avoid buying the product :) Problem-o solved.

confession ~ i stash up on these cookies all the time. 
i'm personally not that phased by 
them as they are produced by Arnott's 
this is probably the most exaggerated picture ever as
the salad irl doesn't even come close to looking like that.
it is also a very depressing salad, all the vegetables
 are chemically enhanced. i'd also be careful with the dressing.












Did you know that both the actor that played Ronald McDonald, Geoffrey Giuliano was vegetarian? How contradicting! The nicest thing was that he wrote a formal apology in March 1991 saying:

"I want to apologise for participating in helping to brainwash North America's young people into doing something that I know now to be contrary to the purpose of life."

He also went into detail stating...

"It was the only opportunity that presented itself to me. My beliefs were mine. If the whole rest of the world wants to kill a cow and eat it, then let them do it as long as I don't participate. That's how I justified it."

"I was doing a safety show for kids, when I found a memo that said 'The purpose of the Ronald McDonald Safety Show is to increase the awareness of McDonald's goods, services and products.' I thought to myself, 'Wait a minute pal, I thought the purpose was to help children.' That was the end of it. I let it go."

You can read more about Geoffrey Giuliano here.

Given the exception that it was written back in 1991, it's still crazy that for so many years this story didn't receive any attention. The food industry is scary, and I feel like they hid this story pretty well. For those of you interested in this type of topic, I advise you to watch the following documentaries...

- Supersize Me
- Food Inc.
- Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead
- Fed Up

Overall, I think that the best option is to avoid eating McDonald's. Don't provide the store with your money if you're against the rapid demand of meat and dairy for fast food companies. Support local businesses! I remember when I was little I used to visit this amazing fruit juice store that made juice that tasted identical to the one my mum makes. SPREAD THE MESSAGE! Educate your friends about the vegan or vegetarian lifestyle, the documentaries listed before are a great way to inform them.

I think the most important thing is to not force people you know to become vegetarian or vegan, but instead to let them know about the lifestyle. At the end of the day it is up to them if they want to make the change or not. The best thing is that veganism is on the rise and I think social media plays an important role. Tumblr and Instagram always display awesome smoothie bowls and delicious vegan recipes. YouTubers are great at spreading the message too, it is estimated that 5% of Australia are vegetarians and a measly 1% were vegan in the year 2011.

Whether the vegan percentage has risen in Australia or not is questionable as us Aussies are known for our meat pies and beef range at McDonald's. I feel like if we had a fast-food inspired vegan restaurant, there would be a rapid increase in vegans as us humans are lazy and always opt for easy-to-reach food options (family dinner boxes...). The only place I can think of is Boost Juice in Australia as it is fast, but not completely vegan and they barely provide any food options... mainly just juices. Maybe I could open up a vegan shop with my sister one day... who knows?!

Comments

Popular Posts