How I Keep Track of My Large Makeup Collection

 Hi there!


Long time no blog! If you are new here, this blog digs into the world of makeup and skincare. This is a space where I post in-depth reviews about products, project pan and monthly empties. Although my main platforms are YouTube and Instagram, I decided to jump back onto my blog to bring more clarity to my overall goals as a makeup lover and consumer. 

Since I last posted about my makeup inventory (back in 2017), I have to admit my collection has spiralled out of control. I have to fall on my sword and agree that having a makeup collection is not sustainable, and often times feels like I am throwing my money into a pit of fire. 

So you may be wondering, how have I been keeping track of my huge collection? The answer is short and sweet... EXCEL!

Now there are two types of people. People who like to physically write down their notes, and those who like to use technology. For the longest time, I have always written down my notes, and I even keep a journal but I began to realise that in some areas this can be very time-consuming. This is especially true when we're talking about keeping track of over a thousand items. 

So... how did I begin to keep track of my inventory?

I quite literally got a pen and pad and started counting all my makeup and skincare items one by one. I sorted them into categories such as 'night cream' and 'liquid foundation'.

I have since gotten more advanced with how I track my collection, including attaching prices and the dates my products were purchased.


Pictured above: Here is how I layout my inventory, with the red showing a gradual increase in inventory and green being the opposite. 



Pictured above: I like to summarise each month by showing a tally of purchases vs. declutters. I have recently added monetary values to hold myself more accountable


I have come to realise as I get older that project panning is a marathon not a race. On top of that, I still enjoy using makeup so I'll always own it however lifestyles do change. 

I don't believe that I need to hold onto 52 concealers, and they are bound to expire so I need to be more cut-throat about my collection and continue to hold myself accountable of what I am buying.

I am now participating in a no-buy so I can reduce what comes in and try and finish things to reduce my overall collection quantities.

Do you have a big collection? Would you try out an excel sheet to keep track? Let me know below :)
 

Comments

Popular Posts