Products I am Throwing Out in 2020

Since it is the start of a new year (and a bad start at that), I thought that I would go through my bathroom shelves and do a deep detox of the products that I own.

Before I get started, I just want to mention that I hate wasting products. I also hate spending my hard earned money on a product that has disappointed me. Instead of simply discarding the product, I felt like explaining why I disliked it. I have given all these products a fair go, but they just do nothing for me.

De Lorenzo Nova Fusion Colour Care Shampoo in Rose Gold

Firstly, my hair used to be pink... 2 years ago so I don't know why I haven't gotten rid of this any earlier. Secondly, I would not really call the colour 'rose gold' instead it was more of a bright medium pink which was disappointing at the time.

RRP $27.95 @ HairHouseWarehouse

The formula is great, good quality and doesn't damage the hair. The colour wasn't what I was expecting so if you want to maintain a baby pink hair colour I would not recommend this. However, if you have more of a bright pink and want to maintain your hair colour without constantly dyeing it, give this one a go!

John Frieda Sheer Blonde Brilliantly Brighter Range - Shampoo, Conditioner & Treatment

To put it lightly, I hate this product range. Not only does it have unpronounceable ingredients in it, it also does absolutely nothing for my hair except leaving a strong chemical smell.  

RRP $17.99 @ Priceline

Also, I wasn't sure if it was the formula but the shampoo was really gooey and thick to the point where I've had to squeeze the absolute crap out of the bottle. As you can see by the image, I have used a fair bit of the product to give it a fair go (as well as the treatment) but it just did nothing to my hair. 

RRP $17.99 @ Priceline

These products claim to give you a more radiant blonde but it really confused me because the colour of the treatment is bright yellow? I felt like it made my blonde appear more brassy. If you want a more luminous blonde, you should be using products with purple in it...

RRP $17.99 @ Priceline

And same goes for the conditioner, it just did nothing. I have learnt the hard way that supermarket hair products are the worst. There are just too many chemicals in them as well as detergents that leave your hair looking frizzy (even if you naturally have straight hair!). 

Schwarzkopf Leave-In Conditioner

I used to be in the mindset a few years ago that I had to fully use a product before throwing it out because I felt guilty. Now I am the complete opposite. Imagine using an entire bottle of this only for your mum to buy you another one. I wanted to cry. I hated this product so much.

RRP $8.99 @ Priceline

The smell of this product brings me back to when I was 15. I was dyeing my hair every other month, experimenting, ruining my hair and I thought that buying products like these at the supermarket was going to help me. Boy, was I wrong.

Also, before I go on I also want to mention that the supermarket do offer far better products for a good price. However, from personal experience the best products for my hair have been ones that have been recommended by my hairdressers. It isn't always true that 'you get what you pay for' but you do have to do some research before buying things in general.

Anyway, this spray smells oddly like washed up cigarettes. It has this really musky smell that is not flattering at all. I have no other way to explain it other than watered down cigarettes. I wouldn't let my worst enemies use this product. 

My Magic Mud Tooth Powder

Remember that weird charcoal craze? I think it started from this. I was given this tooth powder as a free gift at a Vegan festival I went to years back. I've given it a try and I think it is the worst.


Firstly, dentists recommend that you use toothpaste because it has fluoride in it to protect your teeth. Unless you eat absolutely no sugar, then you could potentially get away with this tooth powder. 

Also, this product does not make your teeth whiter. They just appear whiter because the stark blackness of the powder is practically toning your teeth on the surface (like purple shampoo to yellow hair). I feel sad when I use this product because there is no flavour or texture to it at all. The worst possible feeling is brushing your teeth with nothing but the sensation of water. 

Alpha Keri Slimming and Firming Serum

I could not believe this product was still in my bathroom. STAY CLEAR OF IT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! I feel bad for anyone who has spent their money on this, and I'm glad I got it for free HOWEVER, I wish it never entered my life at all.

RRP $49.99?! Not linking this one nope

I can not begin to explain how uncomfortable this felt on my skin. It burns. Oh, it burns the absolute crap out of you. I remember it burnt me so badly I had to force myself to take a nap in order to escape the horrible sensation I was feeling. 

I even own lip plumpers that give you that tingling sensation, but this was completely different. Come to think of it, it may have even been an allergic reaction. Nevertheless, I never want to see this brand again in my life.

If you want a slimmer body please just exercise instead. 

Redist Hair Care Cream Mask

I have a bit of a love / hate relationship with this product. I used it half-way and I think the smell is what puts me off. I also didn't notice too much of a difference in the quality of my hair with this mask. I wouldn't go as far to say I hate this product however, I just don't like it.

RRP $8.95 @ Redone Australia

I purchased this mask in a set with a conditioner and I do much prefer the formula of the conditioner. It has the same coconut / shea smell to it however the conditioner made my hair feel amazing. 

What have I learnt?

Through struggling with all these products I have learnt that I should maybe do more research before purchasing things. It really does suck when you spend money on a product only for it to suck. I could have just thrown these products out and not given it another thought, but I thought I owed it to you guys to leave my review.

Thanks for reading x


Comments

Popular Posts